Energy Performance Certificates (EPC)

All properties that are marketed in England and Wales are required to have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) before they can be put on the market to sell or rent.

What is an Energy Performance Certificate?

EPCs contain:

  • information on your home’s energy use and typical costs,
  • a recommendation report with suggestions to reduce energy use and save money,
  • details of the person who carried out the EPC assessment,
  • who to contact if you want to make a complaint.
Energy Performance Certificate

How do I get an Energy Performance Certificate?

We can organise your Energy Performance Certificate for you, with an accredited Domestic Energy Assessor (DEA). They will visit your property to assess the age, construction and location of the property as well as its current fittings such as heating systems, insulation, double glazing etc.

We offer stand alone EPCs nationwide for just £60!

When do I need to get one?

You can not commence marketing your property until you have ordered an Energy Performance Certificate. At minimum, this means that we must be instructed to prepare an EPC for your home before it is marketed. The law says that it must be paid for upfront, or a clear commitment made to pay for one in person (or estate agent) responsible for marketing (i.e., get it in writing).

Why has the Government introduced EPCs?

Domestic energy use accounts for 27% of the UK’s carbon dioxide emissions. The Government is introducing a number of energy saving initiatives, including EPCs, aimed at making all buildings more energy efficient. These measures are being applied across all European Union countries as per the European Directive for the energy Performance of Buildings.

How can I make my energy rating as high as possible?.

  • Insulating your property is the most cost effective measure you can take. In most cases, cavity wall insulation is straight forward, inexpensive and hassle-free. Installing new loft insulation in most properties is an easy DIY job and should be done to a depth of 270mm.
  • If your boiler is over 15 years old, it’s probably time to replace it and you’ll get a better rating if you combine it with modern heating controls. If you need to save space, buy a combi boiler, which does not store hot water in a tank but heats water directly from the cold water mains as it is used.
  • Fit a hot water tank jacket.
  • While double glazing can be fairly expensive, it will reduce noise and lower heating bills.
  • When purchasing new appliances look out for the Energy Saving Recommended Logo, and choose the most energy efficient in their category.

For free, impartial advice on energy efficiency improvements call 0800 512 012 or visit

Further Information

Please contact us today if you would like us to arrange an Energy Performance Certificate for just £60!